Tuesday, July 26, 2005

anywhere but here

It's been a little over one week since I returned from my 3 week sojourn to the East Coast to revisit many of the Civil War landmarks I had visited as a small girl. Every Spring my mother, brothers, and I would drive from upstate NY down south to either North Carolia, South Carolina, or Florida, stopping at places such as Gettysburg or Ford's theater along the way. It was the Peterson Boarding House in particular that made the most lasting impression on my young mind. That tiny bed where such a long body had died...the blood stained pillow.
I am thankful that the infatuation which spurred from those early travels has resurfaced in an era of such accessible information at my fingertips. This resurfacing stems back to NPR's This American Life and one of my fazvorite contributors: Sarah Vowell. About 3 or 4 months ago I saw her on The Daily Show with John Stewart discussing her new book "Assassination Vacation" and was instantly glued to the TV set. Days later Terry Gross was interviewing her on Fresh Air and soon afterwards I found myself making my first purschase off of audible.com. I've listened to it so many times I've caught myself mouthing along with Sarah or her cast as they quote those involved... pretty lame. Her book covers the assassination of Presidents: Lincoln, McKinley, and Garfield, although these days I only listen to the third dedicated to the Lincoln Assassination, and this only occurs on my iPod while at the gym, taking public transportation, or on long car rides.

In the meantime I have spent all of my spare time and income on researching, buying, and bidding on literature, photography books, civil war/assassination paraphenelia. My obsession has since branched out to engulf specific civil war battles, specific generals, and Lewis Thornton Powell (one of the conspirators who attempted the murder of then Secretary of State, William Seward). As not one of my friends shares this enthusiasm with me, I created this blog to spare my friends.

3 comments:

lorena said...

You are a doll!

Anonymous said...

I am also a Lewis Thornton Powell
nut. (They don't make 'em like that
anymore, right?) Sexiest thing I've
ever seen! Been in love with him
since I was 12 years old. (Okay,
so I'm crazy). Let me tell you,
there's nothing boring about crazy,
and life is too short to be bored.
Does anyone else out there think
he looks like a matinee idol?

lorena said...

holy hell - I've never met anyone else who even knows who he is! well, now all of my close riends know who he is because of me. Glad to know I'm not alone.

Have you read this book on him: Lewis Thornton Powell, the Mystery Man of the Lincoln Conspiracy
- by Betty J. Ownsbey