Saturday, August 19, 2006

overboard


Yesterday we ventured out on the little boat and rode along the coastline of the long lake.
I shared less than a handful of words.
While cruising along I let my legs dangle off of the back side of the boat.
At one point, in the distance, I noticed an older boy swaying on a rocking chair out at the end of his dock, just lazily rocking back and forth while reading a book.
The landscape and cottage behind him was so sleepy and southern in appearance.
I quickly glanced back and around our crowded heavy little boat to all of the high-pitched conversations and thought to myself that it quite possibly would take some time before any of them noticed if I quietly slipped into the water and swam over to that sleepy setting and hid away for the rest of my summer days.
Yes I truly did contemplate this...quite heavily in fact - for a few minutes...until the pituresque image started fading away into a tiny unidentifiable speck... until finally it was too late. Even then I could never seem to take my eyes off of that spot, and therefore I kept looking back against my will. I could not push the thought out of my head about what I'd say - or how I'd explain myself while swimming up to him unaware.

No comments: