Tuesday, December 26, 2006

the scarlet ibis

My closest brother gifted me my favorite "children's" book this day and it felt like the sky parted and sent a bolt of light directly through my eyes and ears when I gazed upon the beautiful cover.

I have sought out this book for years online and in book stores ranging from the most obscure to the largest chains all to no avail. I waited as long as I could through the bustle of the holiday to find a few spare quiet moments with which to curl up alone with my book as it has been long over a decade since my eyes gazed upon those words. Honestly by now all I truly recalled was it leaving me drenched in my own tears upon its close. That and a vision of a bent scarlet ibis - an image which has stayed strong in my heart leaving me immediately reduced to tears when I travel the humid southern summer roads and spot one far off by the waters edge.

I curled up on the cold crisp blankets in our guest bedroom and the dim little antique bedside lamp illuminated the creamy pages. Upon hearing the familiar names the book washed over me and my eyes watered halfway through page one. After the second page I was already throwing the book to the side and grabbing my face almost as if to try to hold a leaking damn back from bursting forth. By the end it took me five minutes to read the last page and a hallf...and at the last word I shut my eyes as tight as possible and felt for the light switch to shut myself in darkness as I curled up into a little ball.

No comments: