Wednesday, December 20, 2006

to get my mind off things



the upside of this BS is a restlessness inside of me over the past few days which has paired harmoniously with perfect photography weather which best suits my personal aesthetic.

I've been driving around like a "car thief" (which I do anyway - but now it's tenfold) leaning over my steering wheel and gazing high into the sky while I speed down the thruways and highways in search of desolate sounding towns on the green shiny signs I whizz by. I let my instincts fully guide me when I do this and before I knew it I was out in the middle of nowhere surrounded by fields of farms and forest and tattered barnyards and ancient houses. The roads were so desolate that some weren't fully paved and I was able to crawl along in my car at a mere 5 mph with no humans or vehicles in sight for 10 minutes or more at a time.

I was in awe of the beautiful world, how we can go only moments off of our beaten ritualistic daily paths and discover foreign worlds which were always just under our noses. Sometimes I just rolled to a stop and clicked on my hazards and sat with my face resting on the wheel while smiling so intensely that tears welled up in my eyes as they gazed at the winter sun shooting rays of warm light over the dusty horizon.

Other times I'd be racing by and screech to a halt as something off in a forest had caught my eye, then I'd peel out in the dirt by the side of the road as I'd back up while unfastening my belt-seat at the same time. Then I'd flick on the hazards, grab my camera and run out into the woods, or out into a front yard, or to a street corner and start finding my place to be. Every time I did this I forgot my jacket out of excitement so after 20 minutes of standing in 30 degree weather without gloves, a scarf, and a jacket, my nose started hardening and my fingers started jamming stiff, so I was forced back to the warmth of my car.

I found a horse on a farm which I fell in love with, I stopped and stared at him for quite some time, talking happily to him as I love to do, then becoming so overwhelmingly sad for him as he stood there in the cold with his beautiful brown eyes. How I would have liked to free him, gallop away on him. I drove so slowly away and kept looking back until he was just a small black silhouette against the barn and my eyes watered.

I miss him, my new friend.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read your words yesterday. I see the picture today. I read the words again. Take an apple with you next time.

lorena said...

Take an apple for the horse you mean?

Anonymous said...

yes. sometimes we can only do small things for those we happen upon.

lorena said...

Hmmm, that is a kind idea. The trouble is I was half an hour off the expressway and instinct led me there (and by chance led me back to the expressway)...I don't know if I would find him again! But I like the idea - I do

myrnâ said...

Your pictures,as always, gorgeous..It seems that I can drink water from that river.
By the way, the picture of the forks is not mine, but it was perfect for my narration…pure eroticism without the need of showing naked bodies..jajaja
I hope that you have…¡¡Feliz Navidad!! y ¡¡Feliz Año Nuevo 2007!!
¡muak!