Tuesday, September 06, 2005

the god damned banjo

I strummed the strings of a banjo yesterday at a music store and I swear the ceiling disappeared ... and then the clouds parted while a bright light forced itself down upon me...and then closed abruptly when Hubby suggested I check the internet for a better buy (and this one was on sale for a great price!). Not an ounce of impulsiveness in his blood, we couldn't be more opposite!
"But Baby, that's a really difficult instrument to play!" he lectured.
"So! Do you really think that deters me? I already have an instructor lined up, Tara told me the banjo player in her husbands bluegrass band is super talented and will give me lessons!"
"I'm just saying! It'll take time to learn..."
"Baby! If it were really easy what would be the point - do you think I expect to buy the f-ing thing and then wake up tomorrow a god damn pro?! ...waking up able to play that dueling song like the little freak in Deliverance?!"
...Silence.

4 comments:

T.T. said...

Holy cow Lorena. I saw this post and it hit me: BANJO. Rachel Griffith named her little boy Banjo. So it's not all that kooky - if it's been done once, well then one could argue that it's not certifiable...Banjo is a kick ass boy's name. If you can't buy one, make one!

Knitty Kitty said...

Didn't Rachel Griffiths name her son "Banjo" after a poet? While that is neither here nor there, get the banjo, they are very cool, but don't go all redneck and "deliverance" cause that is just scary...

lorena said...

I'm pretty certain nothing can make me go redneck, but yes I DO intend to get a banjo as I have wanted one for some time now.

P - thanks for giving me inspiration, now I know the first song I intend to learn on it. If we lived near each other would you be in a band with me? I also have ALWAYS wanted to play the accordion...and by the way are you talking about harold and maude? that's one of my favorite movies!

lorena said...

Oh man, that is hilarious! That Miss Malm story! And yes I fell in love with Maude as soon as I saw that movie, that movie hurt me I loved it to much.

It's funny how different the info that is brought out through these blogs is so different than the things we actually talk about...for some portion at least. Like little miscellaneous info like movies, etc.