Sunday, September 18, 2005

little birdie the banjo


Yesterday I went on a hunt for the 'one', and after 4 or 5 stores I went back to the same store I visited 2 weeks ago and approached the banjo that had made the ceiling disappear. There was my little Birdie. After a few moments I placed her back on the stand and a little 8 or 9 year old boy came and picked her up immediately and played the dueling banjo song. I turned my back to the kid and stared at Hubby with wide eyes and mouthed "ho-ly shit". [If you read my Tuesday, September 6 entry some of this will make a little more sense]

As soon as he put her back I took her up to the counter. It may have been there that I saw the eagle painted on the back. I was wearing my eagle shirt that day, one of my favorites which I haven't worn for quite a while due to seeing a sucky girl wearing it on some sucky TV show. And above the eagle there were 3 gold stars. My temples glittered happily and my eyes stared hugely at Hubby who had no clue the connections my mind was making. There is a solid black star tattooed above my surname on my back. (My 'gang tattoo', as people often mistake due to the bold old english lettering).


My fingers are raw and my neck is sore. I am practicing the scales and my fingering and learning "Cripple Creek" (click on quicktime icon next to the song) until we can find the music for "Moon River" which I will some day play for Petunia. By the way P, before I went to bed last night she told me her name was Birdie, and by the time I woke this morning it had solidified.

8 comments:

T.T. said...

Congratulations! She sure is purdy.

Slitely Askew said...

That's a sweet looking instrument!

cookie monster said...

when i was young i wanted to learn the banjo. i admire your talent!

lorena said...

hey cook - it's one thing to buy a banjo yet another to have talent with it.

P + B - I'll try to make a recording when I get good enough. I really want to knock your socks off so it will be a while.

Sigh. She is really precious though, I can hear her little rapid heart beating and I gush over her with love, the sound she makes - makes my smile quiver and my soul begin to rise. I swear she and I hover above when I hold her. Sigh.

T.T. said...

Totally unrelated to Birdie...Lorena, you mention that you are a lucid dreamer/can lucid dream. I'm wondering what you think of my dream post (today's)...would you say I'm lucid in these dreams since I'm seemingly manipulating my environment/dream and returning to it with previous knowledge? But when I'm in the dream it's not as if I'm aware that I'm dreaming - isn't that a big factor in lucid dreaming? Anyway, I thought of you when I posted...any wisdom? :)

Lindsey said...

See...that banjo was MADE for you to have it. There were too many coincidences there for you not to have bought it!

T.T. said...

Thanks for responding to my so off-topic post! :)

lorena said...

Oui mademoiselle...that is the wedding band. My mother passed down a big diamond and Hubby and I had a Swedish jewelry designer make our rings but when I asked him a million times to cut the diamond down for my wedding band because it was too big for my taste, he refused. We stayed on the phone for over an hour and he finally talked me into keeping the big rock, uncut. He told me evilishly "I never met a woman who didn't get used to a big diamond"...I told him that he obviously had never met me because I think they are tacky and I don't care for them unless they are tiny and discreet. Anyway, I never wear the damned rock, just the tiny sliver of a wedding band.

lala- you're very welcome, it was my pleasure.

Girl of words + pics...please post something soon because I fucking love your site! The cello sound is so beautiful too!