Thursday, October 06, 2005

the lesson

She is smiling. Something fierce and hot sliced her heart after dark yesterday.

Last night I cabbed it over to my lesson and introduced Birdie to the lovely gentleman friend of a friend who was kind enough to donate an hour of his time to me for free. He had a magnetic presence and took little Birdie and started picking hillbilly style ... my jaw dropped and my skin went numb under thousands of tiny pin prickles. Later when he picked up his banjo, we sat knee to knee and picked a roll (I learned it off my DVD) together in harmony, all the while he was quickening his tempo and I kept up with him until finally I squeezed my eyes closed and yelled Fuuuuck! and stopped. Then he rolled his chair backwards away from me and shouted "that was so great - I can't believe you've only been playing for about two weeks...wow!"

To say my cheeks were producing flames and embers would be putting it lightly. I can't remember the last time I blushed so heatedly. That was dangerous for me. The euphoria of playing an instrument your adore along with another who also adores this instrument. Our knees were touching every once in a while because he wheeled so close and it got fucking hot in there quickly, and stupid-ass me wore a sweater on what ended up being a very warm evening out.

When I left I tried to jam a $20 into his hand when we shook hands at the top of the stairs but it repelled him back and he put his hands high in the air, so I started walking back towards his room saying "Fine I'll just throw it in your room then". He got mad and I got scared so I stood before him like a scolded child with my eyes cast downwards. We said goodbye then I ran down the stairs concealing a smile and started running down the street a little. It was an unusually beautiful evening out, I walked down a few streets and hailed a cab.

"Is that a banjo you have there Miss?" The cab ride was lovely and informative, when he pulled up in front of my house the conversation continued a short while longer. He put the car in park and turned to get a good look at me. My eyes were open very wide and my back was arched as I bounced up and down at the edge of my seat to the rhythm of my ever-elongating words - sometimes I sing my sentences when I feel comfortable and inspired to do so. His smile and words in return were very uplifting/hopeful and inspiring, when he himself seemed rather down and bitter when I first got in the cab. I've been told though that when I'm happy I spread that happiness all over you like wildfire.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

That is soooo awesome! I knew you would be wonderful!!!