Monday, October 03, 2005

momentary lapse from hibernation

Since Birdie flew into my life: one of my bosses told me I inspired him to pull his mandolin out of storage and start playing again; a friend told me she was going to dust off her electric guitar; another friend told me she wanted to take out her violin she hasn't played in 10 years; another one will perhaps finally tackle the piano, and finally yesterday my scooter driving girlfriend said she wanted to learn the harmonica to play along with my banjo. Little Birdie your inspiration is contagious and it just makes me love you all the more.

When I came home from the Festival on Saturday there was a package in front of my door. Birdie's strap and the instructional DVD's, CD, and tab booklet had arrived. We had a half an hour to change and head over to our friend's dinner party. I became caught up with Birdie so we were 45 minutes late. How wonderful it was to be back around good friends. Inspiring and intelligent dialogues floating around the room, dipping in and out of eardrums, heated conversations interwoven with wine and firelight. That night and the following day I spoke more than I had all month combined and my throat is sore and breaking today. I tried to sing along with Karen O this morning and my voice kept dropping off. A low fire burns behind my chin and there are dark ashes tickling my throat causing me to cough every 2 minutes but it makes me smile.

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

That sounds sooo awesome for you! Look at you being an inspiration to the masses.

Slitely Askew said...

I sometimes hibernate for such long periods of time that socialzing is like work for me. I'm strange

lorena said...

actually - I do hope some day to find a little group of poeple with similar taste in music to start a little band up with but I don't want to get ahead of myself. Taking something on like this, there's always that waiting period to see if it's really going to stick with you or not.

Originally I had always wanted to learn accordion first but instinct led me to my second choice instead. Anyway, I have a friend who plays accordion and aside from playing movie themes we have somewhat similar taste, so she's my first hopeful when I do allow myself to daydream about a band.