Sunday, October 02, 2005

under water day

How lovely this day was.


Even though I awoke alone and anxious because Hubby left the house at 4:30am to go fishing two 1/2 hours out deep in the ocean, I was quick and happy. A friend called to ask me to my neighborhoods street fair which I wasn't even aware of, but I had to decline because it was to be another day in the shade of the redwoods at the bluegrass festival. All of the streets around my place were barricaded off so I walked freely down the middle of the them in the ripe morning sun. I walked about 10 minutes to the other side where my friend was waiting for me with her pearly white scooter. I climbed on the back, held the little handlebars and we were off to a Creole diner for some southern brunch first. We sat up at the counter, high on our stools, the sun hitting our backs through the open door behind us.


Then we scooted over to the festival, and today was sunny and warm unlike yesterdays chilly foggy day which drizzled dampness on us continuously. Six and a half hours we spent there today - and it was so refreshing because yesterday I made the mistake of dragging Hubby out with another friend of mine and he had his head in his hands with his eyes closed almost the entire time. This behavior irked me enough that I didn't mind leaving the festival early to get to another friend's house for a dinner party, but we still managed to arrive late, oh well.

But back to today...there are days that I consider my "under water" days. It is a magical thing. It's a sensation where all of the surrounding noises unite as one soothing humming sound. The air coats my skin and glides over every object within my view, connecting me to it as water does (although that is precisely why I hate swimming in lakes and oceans, because that liquid is touching me and the insane creatures lurking in the deep). Experiencing a water day around strangers like that is rare for me.


And lastly there is that phenomenon in this world that my heart cannot take. When someone stands raw before you and sings or plays an instrument so beautifully, creating sounds that are warm fingers probing deep into your chest, digging softly around for your heart until they find it and hold it gently, protectively...my heart can't take that. That slight pressure upon my heart forces the tears to spill, but on a day like today no one can see them under all of that magnificent water.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tears. I have no ocean to hide mine. They flow free. Even the ones I love mock me. Touched by beauty and by sadness. Sometimes darkness but when I close my eyes the quiet gentle dreams come and sooth my soul.

kan said...

Good stuff Lorena!
I got chills! Keep it up. May you have many more underwater days...

lorena said...

a - I'm sorry to hear your loved ones mock you - do you mean they mock your tears? Not lovingly? If not lovingly then I am sad for you that they are cruel, but I probably misconstrued your words as I so often do through these written somments.

My family rips on me and they mock my tears because I cry so easily. For instance, I cried so hard when I had to return our rental car that we drove all along the East Coast and the South this past summer. I became so attached to her, so many memories I had to give up to a stranger in a parking lot, it wasn't fair - I was teary eyed when I gave the keys back to the agent, then I climbed back in our car and broke down crying so hard. Then I rolled my window down and snapped a picture of her before we drove off and the agent just looked dumbfounded at me because I was making the huhuhuhu-hmmmmmmmmmmm cry.

Anyway, Hubby laughed so hard at me he couldn't even drive the car, and when we came back to the left Coast and went directly to that party one of my closest friends started laughing really hard and started hugging me really tight while he told me he heard all about my car rental. Episodes like this occur all the time for me, I provide constant entertainment for my loved ones with my over-sensitive soul.