Wednesday, October 12, 2005

vanished

Their faces stare at me all day long. I was about to crawl into bed just now but instead I was drawn to the darkness and I stood before my towering wall where I've pinned up my collection of vanished faces.


Tonight I was drawn to this one in particular and I turned the light back on to inspect their faces. When I peered in close to the picture, their stories started pouring into my mind, saturating it. I stood dampened with the harsh realization that none of this flesh or oxygen surrounding me really matters. Not an ounce of it.

What beautiful day were they celebrating, and why the hardened faces? Only one oblivious child smiles. The fruit sprawled out on the table. The cotton clothes pressed tightly to their necks on a hot day. Hands hanging heavy at their sides.

I suddenly want to fall into the arms of my family but they are all so far away. We have photos of our clan all gathered on precious days and someday will those too be pinned on some strangers wall, all traces of us vanished? Some days I just can't handle being so small in this overwhelming universe.

4 comments:

Lindsey said...

I love old pictures like this. I like to look and imagine what their lives were like...

lorena said...

leaving blogs that 5 people read the day they were posted. I won't be leaving mine up there. will print the entries all out one day and staple them into my journal where the writing has ceased and call it all quits.

leaving the photographs that I've taken matters most to me.

Lindsey said...

I've printed mine all out. I keep the entries in a journal...so that I can keep them close. perhaps use them for my book.

Slitely Askew said...

I love looking at old photos and visiting abandoned buildings. Near my parents there are a lot of old farm houses and they always give me an overwhelming sense of mortality.