Wednesday, October 26, 2005

a small moment

Yesterday we were all sardined in the underground train already when suddenly a man pressed in tighly behind me saying "This is love-ly" as he pushed us all in even tighter to fit before the doors closed behind him. His arm was reaching above my head for a handle to hold onto, elbowing my skull in the process, so I shouted "No, this sucks!"

Suddeny I cringed in my personal darkness (my eyes had been closed) due to the realization that perhaps I said it louder than I thought, so I opened my eyes. Sure enough, A few people were looking at me and one woman looked away quickly and then directly at the man next to her and they started giggling. Then I darted my eyes around all the bodies pressed against me and I saw them all looking at each other and smiling as well. It made the blood rush to my face and then I couldn't help smiling too, before I closed my eyes again and thumbed the volume way up on my ipod.

3 comments:

lorena said...

Of course B! It was "Where I End and You Begin" by Radiohead

And only this instant am I noting how ironic that was considering there were no gaps and we were all one blob with limbs here and there grasping in the air at handles:

There's a gap in between
There's a gap where we meet
Where I end and you begin

Lindsey said...

lol. Good for you!!! I bet that made their day.

Abigail S. said...

You probably said what they all wanted to say! ... Maybe taht's why they were laughing- you had the guts to say it outloud!