Thursday, August 25, 2005

bound for glory

The Farm Security Administration heavily photographed and documented American life during the Great Depression through to WWII. Few people know that the FSA photographers were also given color Kodachrome film to go out and shoot with in addition to the standard B+W film. This is the first publication of these color FSA photographs which were lost for decades due to being wrongfully stored with the WWII slides. These images are striking to me because they show us a period of American history which we only understood through B+W prior to this book, not to mention the fact that I've always been fascinated by the Great Depression.





When we have dinner guests, sometimes I'll bring out my photography books as Hubby prepares our after dinner espresso's and dessert's (I bring them out as a reference if the conversation strayed in that direction at some point during the meal). When the night is over and our guests have gone home, I always clean up the dining room table, leaving only the books out, as a temporary souvenir of sorts. I find it sweetens my mind with memories of the evening's conversations as I walk by later, so sometimes I'll leave them there for weeks at a time. (NOTHING else in our place is allowed to lay around for longer than a day as I am an obsessively neat person). My whole point - this book just got shelved finally moments ago, and I thought I'd share it as it's one of my favorites.

4 comments:

lorena said...

since I can remember! I was always mortified at how messy our house was growing up and I think that has a lot to do with why I am so obsessively neat! You were one of my only friends that I let come over to my house, when I got older, no one was allowed inside.

cookie monster said...

i like the pic of the pickeny fishing and also of the men sat there looking like they had had a hard day toiling in the field.

lorena said...

yeah, if you have any interest in photography and/or the Great Depression, this book will NOT disappoint you!

lorena said...

oh god yes the supermarket was something else with my family huh? well with 3 grown boys and one big athletic tomboy to feed, we always had to have 2 shopping carts, overflowing with food, it used to embarass me, especially the 6-8 gallons of milk...for some reason the milk quantity used to embarass me the most!