Sunday, August 14, 2005

that's the way it is

I just bought this DVD and I highly recommend it. It's a remastered version of a documentary shot in 1970 when he was making his big comeback...basically the time period between young/hot Elvis and middle-aged/rotund Elvis.

It is hilarious. I certainly had never witnessed this side of him prior to watching this documentary. I mean I had always considered myself a huge fan, I fucking cried when I finally made my pilgrimage to Graceland 2 years ago. Allow me to digress: I cried while purchasing my ticket at the ticket counter, and the woman helping me was trying really hard not to look at me and not to laugh as my friend was laughing her ass off, buckling over and causing more people to look. I remember standing in line in the parking lot waiting for the Graceland shuttle bus to pick us up and I was drying my eyes and trying to mentally control my lips from trembling. Didn't work. I scanned the people in the queue and was a bit put off that I was the only one teary eyed.

Well I held it together until I reached the tiny Graceland graveyard. I started crying against my brains request to stop, and so I stepped out of line and stood against a little wall and cried, I figured - get it out of my system and then get back in line. So while I tried to stop crying I was momentarily distracted wondering where my friend and her cousin had gone and that was when I looked up and saw her leaning over laughing really hard, holding her knees and taking pictures of me. Oh well, what are you gonna do....?

3 comments:

lorena said...

Yes that would have been nice to go with someone who was an actual fan...sigh...I am SO thrilled that you are an Elvis fan!

And yes I think I do recall you crying when we were driving back from a trip! was that when you first got contacts??

lorena said...

yes, and Ii can remember my jean jacket, and I remember their faces as if it was yesterday!

lorena said...

I can't get the bloody page to open, will try again later though, thanks P!