Monday, August 29, 2005

ssa ym ssik!!!

I'm going to ramble because I'm sick and delirious right now. Ssa ym ssik.

Saturday I got Elliott Smith's album From a Basement on the Hill when I was on my way to a housewarming/block party. I was feeling sick and nauseous but we made it to a music store, made the purchase, then cabbed it to the party. I needed his little face peering out of my purse all night, it somehow soothed me every time I saw his little face.

The block was barricaded off and there were kids whacking piñata's and a huge 3 story King Kong balloon in the middle of the street. Every door on the street was wide open, every stoop was cluttered with people, music and barbeque smoke whirled in the air. My eyes were closing and I had to sit down often. Somehow 6 hours passed by. At least two of them were spent talking about the Civil War to a friend I hadn't seen in a few months, and she was genuinely very interested and enthusiastic about hearing it all!


Sunday I got Beck's new album Guero. I wasn't going to get it after I heard he was a scientologist because they're all evil nut-job zombie's. Anyway, I wasn't going to let them interfere with my universe in the end. Ssa ym ssik Ron L. Hubbard!

I don't have the strength right now to back up my hatred of Scientology. I don't hate many things in this world, hate is a strong word which I learned at a young age not to use lightly. In any case I lived with one of those zombie's for a year of hell and that's all I'll say...great my blood pressure is rising now.



Anyway, then we went to a lounge bar and watched a drag queen falsetto singer and a drag accordion player do Aerosmith polkas and opera duets. We met up with a bunch of girls I had met in a photo class last year, it was all girly and fun.

Then a friend I hadn't seen in half a year was at a bar a block away so I walked over there and he came out and met me on the street corner on my way home to give me a warm hug and a 10 minute run-on sentence before he hailed me a cab and sent me off home where I quickly crawled into bed.

And now I will do the same...it's only 7:17PM...actually Brown Bunny just came in the mail today. All I know about it is Chloë Sevigny gives Vincent Gallo a blow-job, he supposedly has a huge dick, and he is a motorcycle racer. We'll see if I have the stamina to watch it tonight...

5 comments:

Slitely Askew said...

Darn! I'm deeply disappointed in Beck - Scientology....don't even get me started - have you read "Bare Faced Messiah"? - that book made me so angry (a biography of Hubbard - but not in a flattering way) I refuse to watch Tom Cruise movies because he is such a nutter. I also have Beck's new album.....it IS good...but scientology?....I thought he was a different breed of nutter.

lorena said...

BROOKS - I'm all about "Broken Drum" on Guero, I think because it reminds me of Neil Young's music in the movie Dead Man.

But yeah, I'm more stuck on Elliott, and you're so right about "distorted reality ..." and I'll give King's Crossing another listening to before bed...

SA - I'm sorry to break this to you:
"Rocker BECK credits controversial faith system Scientology with fuelling his blossoming career and helping him achieve elusive happiness." And there's oh so much more where that BS came from. (ELUSIVE is fucking right, Idiot!)

Anyway, do you recommend that book you mentioned? I have a very low tolerance for hearing about that Hubbard-tard.

Slitely Askew said...

Well seeing as the entire book is about Hubbard - you may not be able to stomach the sheer volume of it - but almost everything in the book points to the fact that Hubbard was a pompous bulshitting nutter. There is a lot of fuel there for any anti-hubbard-ite. However I was heard to exclaim aloud about every few pages "what the *&!( I hate this guy" so it's definitely infuriating.

lorena said...

hhhm maybe I can stomach it...thanks for the tip!

lorena said...

and?? AM I just crazy or is there some resemblance?

did you know that for the soundtrack to that movie, Neil just sat in a room surrounded by a bunch of TV's playing the Dead Man footage and he just played along to what he saw...