Monday, August 22, 2005

don't judge a book by it's cover

I just bought this book online. I've wanted it for some years now, but due to my current obsession, buying it now made sense to me. I bought it because I was glad that someone took the time and interest to go back to all of the big battlefields of the Civil War and rephotograph them. Supposedly the photographer reshot the places that Alexander Gardner and his assistants had shot the scenes that documented the horrors of the aftermaths of these battles.

I was so disappointed that most of the pictures this guy shot were abstract closeups of mud puddles, rivers, and walls, and sure the pictures were beautiful but its hard to understand why someone would go through all the effort of conceiving of this idea, spend the money traveling / photographing / acting it out, and then instead of choosing landscapes like the one pictured on the deceiving cover would instead choose to edit those down and publish closeups of mud! God damn you!

...And my mother always told me "Don't judge a book by it's cover"...

5 comments:

lorena said...

ok, you start!

luckily the book has obscure info I didn't know about, but I got mad at it once I openend it and haven't opened it since my first browse through.

Lucy Stern said...

The same thing happens with movies. Many times I will watch a movie trailer and when I actually see the movie, I wonder why they choose those particular scenes. They didn't depict what the movie was about. Bad advertising.
Sorry you wasted your money on the book.

lorena said...

Yeah, I feel the same about movie trailers, it's either what you said or they give the entire movie away in it.

I did actually see potential in the book I'm just not ready to look at it agian yet, I haven't mourned the death of what I thought it was going to be long enough yet.

lorena said...

yay! i'll go look at it now!!

lorena said...

no shit, my thoughts exactly GM! Only problem now is I live on the West coast and those places are all on te East coast so that would eb an ongoing project!